Des Moines Roosevelt track star Lolo Jones became an unintended Olympic icon in Beijing - without reaching the finish line first.

Jones was lauded for courage and character in the toughest of circumstances when she nicked the second-to-last hurdle Aug. 19 with a commanding lead in the women's 100-meter finals, as gold slipped away and she ultimately finished seventh.

The moment was painful, but also eye-opening as everyone from strangers to Dallas Cowboys NFL star Terrell Owens empathized and reached out.

Jones, who returns to Des Moines this week, answered questions Monday about the fateful night in China — and her future.

Question: What did you do that night?

Lolo Jones: "It took me a while to get back. I tried to walk back to (Olympic) Village, because I was so mad that I didn't want to get on the bus. I wanted to cool off. They wouldn't let me walk down the street, even though I had the right passes. I had to take a cab back to Village.

"Angela Whyte, another hurdler and friend from Team Canada, she kind of took me to the side and hung out. The Olympic Village had an arcade. We just kind of played basketball at the arcade. I remember she won and I said, 'I can't even win in basketball.' I was already joking less than three hours later.

"When I went back to my room ... I cried and definitely couldn't get any sleep.

"I'm still learning lessons from that night. It's definitely going to make me stronger for my next Olympics."

Q: So there's definitely another Olympics for you?

LJ: "Yeah, definitely. I want to reassure people about that. In the hurdles, you peak at 28 to 33. We get better as we're older - so the good news is, I'll be at my prime. (Editor's note: She's 26 now.)

"Maybe I have two more Olympics in me. Allen Johnson ran (in the Olympic Trials at 37).

"What helps me, four years ago when I didn't make the team, I was like, 'Oh my gosh, this is the end of the world,' but those four years flew by so fast."

Q: Who's the most interesting or famous person you heard from after the Olympics?

LJ: "Terrell Owens. He was watching the Olympics with his assistant, who used to work with USA Track & Field. He was like, 'Oh my gosh, I just want to speak with her but I don't know what to say' when he saw me hit the hurdle.

"They called and I went to my first NFL game (Dallas-Washington) and hung out with Terrell. I learned his name is Tear-ell, not Tuh-rell.

"It sucks, though, because the Cowboys lost."

Q: What was Terrell Owens like?

LJ: "I didn't know he was perceived as a showboat or whatever. When I met him, he was cordial, nice and I didn't see any of that.

"The first time we were kind of talking in our meeting, we were watching the LSU-Auburn game. Since I went to LSU, I was rooting for them. He was going for other Tigers since he's from Alabama.

"We bet on the game. I said if I win, he'd have to get me a pink jersey with his number to wear to the game. If he won, I'd wear whatever he wanted me to wear to the game.

"He lost, and sure enough got me a pink jersey with his number and name on it."

Q: What did he say to you about ( the Olympic finals)?

LJ: "He just wanted me to keep my head up for the next Olympics and refocus. I just think it was really cool that he took an interest in my situation.

"He knows as an athlete, when something like that happens - there's not much you can say. You just to reach out and show support, which is the main thing."

Q: Have you watched the race?

LJ: "I've watched the race - one time. After we literally crossed the line at the Olympics (on the JumboTron). I was like, 'What did I do? What did I do technically wrong? I thought, 'Gosh, I didn't realize I was that far ahead.'

"They showed a little of the clip when I was on the 'Bonnie Hunt Show,' but I couldn't watch. It's still just too hard for me to watch right now. Maybe someday, though."

Q: Hurricane Ike battered Baton Rouge (La.) where you, your mother, sister and others live. Was everything OK with you and your family?

LJ: "My house, it was like the hand of God was on top of it. It was like the only house in the neighborhood that didn't have a ton of shingles missing, roofing problems, the fence didn't come down.

"My mom lives, like, five minutes away. There was a tree leaning down on her house, but they pushed it the other way - so they were fine."

Q: What has surprised you most about your time since the Olympics?

LJ: "Just getting recognized in the most random places. In Europe, I'm used to people knowing who I am or asking for my autograph. Coming back to the U.S. all these years, nobody had a clue.

"Now, I go to the grocery store, don't comb my hair and people recognize me. I've got to worry about that more now, huh?"

Source: The Des Moines Register

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home